Healthcare support for veterans and their families
At St Stephen’s Hospital, our Veteran Liaison Officer is here to help veterans to navigate the complex health system and connect you with other support services you may need.
We can assist those who serve or have served in defence of our nation and their families in arranging services funded by the Department of Veterans’ Affairs (DVA) that you may be entitled to, such as:
- Home care services.
- Equipment through the Rehabilitation Appliances Program.
- Community nursing services.
Our Veteran Liaison Officer will meet with you at the start of your stay to offer any assistance you may need, and make sure your healthcare experience is a positive one. During your stay, you may also receive a visit from an RSL Hervey Bay Sub Branch Pensions and Wellbeing volunteer, who can also offer support while you are here and when you go home.
Hospital checklist for veterans
Here are some handy tips for veterans coming to hospital, during your stay, and upon discharge.
- Provide your DVA White or Gold card details to the hospital.
- If you have a home care services provider, ask them to postpone services that will not be required until you are discharged.
- Inform your nurse if you have a home care services provider; their contact details; if you receive any other services; and the frequency of services.
- Inform your nurse of your living arrangements, for example if you live alone or with a carer who is frail, if you have dependants, or if you use aids at home.
- If you have any questions, please ask your treating team to explain to you the treatment you have received; arrange for your family member or carer to be present if necessary; and ask for a list of all medications.
- Ask for a copy of your discharge summary; your GP will also be provided with one.
- Ask for information about what you’re able to do during recovery.
- Make sure all nursing services, aids, home modifications and home assistance are arranged for when you get home.
- Arrange transport home (through DVA if eligible).